Nationality – The candidate must be an Indian citizen for IAS & IPS. But for other services even a subject of Nepal, Bhutan or a Tibetan refugee is eligible. A person of Indian origin (PIO) can also apply if (s)he has been issued a certificate of eligibility by the Government of India.
Age limits – The minimum age is 21 years and the maximum is 32 years. The upper age has following relaxations:-
- 35 years for OBCs
- 37 years for:-
- those domiciled in J&K during 1980 to 1989
- ex-servicemen who have rendered five years military service
- current servicemen, if the Ministry of Defence allows them to apply for civil employment
- 42 years for blind, deaf-mute and orthopedically handicapped persons
The age is to counted on the 01st of August.
Other than these – A physically disabled candidate should satisfy the physical and medical requirements of the concerned services.
Minimum educational qualifications – A candidate should be a Graduate. A final year student can also apply provided (s)he provides the final result before the Main examination.
Number of Attempts – A candidate is permitted six attempts. This has relaxations viz.
- 9 attempts for OBC candidates
- No limit on attempts for SC/ST candidates till they are otherwise eligible.
- Physically handicapped candidates will have attempts similar to the non-physically handicapped candidates of their community but the same for General category candidates is 9.
Appearing in both or any of the paper in Preliminary examination shall be deemed to be an attempt. The fact of appearance counts as an attempt irrespective of the disqualification or cancellation of the candidature.
Physical standard – The candidate should be fit as per the physical standards.
Restrictions on applying for the IAS exam
A candidate who is appointed to the Indian Administrative Service or the Indian Foreign Service on the results of an earlier examination and continues to be a member of that service will not be eligible to compete at this examination.